29 January 2015 10.30 PM -4 F Dark
So, where should I start ?
An apology or a greeting. Let’s be positive and say Happy New Year, welcome to 2015. Not too sure what exactly has happened to the days and weeks since I last managed to post anything – rest assured the lack of productivity on here has not been due to a lack of activity in the kennel or with our dogs – in fact the opposite is true.
As is traditional, let me share the New Year’s Day gate photo.
Looking back at previous years, this is not the lowest snow level on January 1 that we have experienced, but it certainly is close.
What have I been doing in the weeks since my last blog post ? Well, it can be summed up in just a few words – training dogs, caring for dogs and worrying about dogs. I set myself some goals in September
the rough plan was :
- Do some camping/checkpoint training with the dogs. Succeeded – well, one camping/checkpoint thingie done, should have done more, will try to……………
- Enter the Willow Relay Sled Race (with TJ of Cold Canyon Sled Dogs as the other team) run in late Dec. Entered – race was cancelled due to crappy snow conditions.
- Enter the Knik 100 – run in early Jan Entered – race was delayed till Jan 31, then subsequently cancelled – yes, I am that unlucky.
- Enter the Earl Norris Memorial Race – run in late Jan. Starts on saturday – I’m about to enter – still not too late for it to be cancelled !
- Enter the Two Rivers 200 – run in mid March – unlikely to make this, besides every race I have entered since we moved to Alaska 5 years ago has been cancelled or moved. If the Two Rivers people want to send me a bribe to stay away, I’ll happily accept.
- Have fun. Succeeded – more smiles than previous years, more miles on the dogs than previous years (many, many more miles)
The core group of running dogs, aka The Fabulous 14 have become The Terrific 13 – Tess decided that she wasn’t quite ready to make the commitment required to stay in the big group, so she got to start her summer holidays early. The Terrific 13 occasionally became The Troubling 12 and even dipped down to become The Alarmingly Low 11 for a short spell. However, those injuries seem to have cleared up and we are back to the full 13 as a training pool again.
Fingers crossed we get to keep enjoying the rest of the winter and that some more snow is on the way.